Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with some cozy flavors of Ireland! Combine Guiness, brown sugar, and Certified Piedmontese Stew Beef and you have a lovely and warm combination to celebrate!
3 pounds Certified Piedmontese Stew Beef
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 onions finely diced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
4 garlic cloves minced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
1 ½ cups Guinness beer divided
1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme
1 pound carrots
1 ½ pounds potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
1. Heat a slow cooker to high heat. Season beef with salt and pepper toss with flour to fully coat. Use all the flour. Add 1 tablespoon of oil. Brown beef on all sides, working in batches if necessary to avoid over crowding pan. Remove beef from pan and transfer to slow cooker.
2. Add the onions, garlic and parsley, season with salt and pepper. Leave to let the meat and garlic cook.
3. Add potatoes and carrots to slow cooker. Carefully pour broth over meat and vegetables.
4. Pour in the beef broth, scrapping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Then add Guinness, brown sugar, tomato paste and the fresh thyme. Whisk to combine. Note: If you would like your Stew to be thicker add more flour before you cook it.
5. Set slow cooker to high and cook for 3-6 hours.